Below are just a few ideas, themes and dance styles offered by our Swingdance UK teachers that can be adapted, mixed and matched to suit your group. We would be happy to talk these through with you…
Workshop Ideas, Themes & Dance Styles
- 1920s - Charleston
- 1930/40s - Lindy Hop/Swing, Big Apple
- 1950s - Rock 'n' Roll, Strolls
- Specialty dances, such as the Madison (1960s), Shim Sham (1920s), Hustle Stroll (1970s) and Lambeth Walk (1930/40s)
- Solo, partnered and teamwork
- Moves and material for school productions or performance course work
- Q & A session with a dancer
- Basic history of the period, e.g. what was it like to be young in the 1940s
Workshops can last from 1 hour to a whole day and length is primarily determined by age group, budget and aim (i.e. learning a short choreographed routine for performance requires more time). Note, where teachers are booked for a whole day, their time can be divided between different classes.
For a group of 8-12 year olds, a typical recommended workshop may run as follows:
1. Question & Answer Session (20 minutes)
The teacher is introduced and pupils have the opportunity to ask pre-prepared questions to find out what it is like to be a dancer, for example, how this varies from more traditional jobs, favourite moves, period costumes worn and training required.
2. Warm-up (15 minutes)
To avoid injury and to allow teachers to guage the level of pupils, classes start with a gentle warm-up to music. This includes body isolation exercises to help coordination and introduces simple dance steps and rhythms to be used during the class.
3. The Big Apple, 1930s (40 minutes)
The Big Apple is very popular with this age group, incorporating some jazz and Lindy Hop steps as well as partnered and sometimes teamwork. Slightly older children, or those with more experience, may be encouraged to add some improvised moves.
4. Winding down (5 minutes)
Where pupils are returning to the classroom rather than the playground or where workshop content is more demanding, the session ends with some stretching exercises
For a quote and availability contact Simon
Tel: 01895 613 703